What Is the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale?
On April 25 through May 3 (two weekends and the weekdays in between), groups from across the world will hold vegan bake sales. Each participating group gets to choose its venue, what to sell, and how it uses the proceeds. We invite you to participate! You can hold the bake sale on any day during the period—or on more than one day if you like. Anyone can join in.
In the first six years (2009-2014) of the event, participating groups have raised $300,000 for a diversity of causes throughout the world. This year, 150 or more bake sales spanning six continents will likely raise another $50,000. Some of the bake sales have been remarkable; all have been memorable (here are some highlights). The Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale was named "Veg Event of the Year" by VegNews Magazine and has been featured on CNN.com, commercial and public radio, and other mainstream media.
- It's a fun way to introduce people to the joy and tastiness of vegan foods.
- Raise money for your cause.
- Be part of an event that will publicize the many benefits of an animal-free diet.
- Plan to hold a vegan bake sale sometime between April 25 and May 3.
- Let us (and the world) know by using our handy signup form (preferred) or emailing us at email@example.com.
- Hold the bake sale.
- If inclined, please let us know how you did. Send photos, or a link to a blog post, whatever you'd like—celebrate and inspire.
If you want to participate but cannot do so during the "official" time period, just pick a date that's as close as possible. We want everybody to be able to take part in this fun event!
There are only two rules:
- Goods sold must be vegan. For baking, most importantly this means no dairy or eggs.
- Don't sell or distribute anything during the bake sale (books, brochures, etc.) that contributes to the intentional harming of animals.
You don't have to be a vegan group or even an animal group to participate. We're inviting school clubs, Girl Scout troops, church/temple/mosque organizations, even bunches of friends who want to hold a charity bake sale.
It's an easy and enjoyable way to raise funds, and to raise awareness about food that is delicious and satisfying but does not involve exploiting or mass-killing animals. (Note that animals are slaughtered in huge numbers, and at all ages starting at newborn, in the dairy and egg industries). In addition, many people are allergic to dairy or eggs, and holding a vegan bake sale shows that you can make super-tasty versions of cakes, pies, cookies, and other desserts without these ingredients.
The Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale is sponsored by A Well-Fed World, which works to feed an ever-growing human population through a plant-based diet, thus saving people, animals, and natural resources.
The web site is filled with useful information to help you get your vegan bake sale going. For instance, we have links to over a thousand vegan baked good recipes and the web's most complete collection of bake sale tips. Here are few that are handy to know right off the bat...
Tips for Getting Started
- Secure your venue! Possible locations include community centers, public squares, shopping complexes, and sports arenas before or during an event. School and religious groups may want to hold the event in their respective schools and places of worship. Farmers markets, craft fairs, and festivals are other potential places for a vegan bake sale, although you often have to register early. Also, any vegan-oriented store will probably be receptive (if not wildly enthusiastic) about a vegan bake sale at or near their business. You may be able to have a bake sale in your office or apartment building lobby, or even on your front porch. It's also possible to have an online vegan bake sale.
- Get all the necessary permissions for holding a bake sale at your desired location. This can range from almost nothing to dealing with multiple levels of officials and obscure regulations. For shopping centers and malls, you may need permission from the owner of the property, not just store management. Health ordinances vary from place to place, and sometimes a city code will override a state code. But the good news is that in most instances, bake sales are very easy to set up, in terms of legalities and permits.
Note: In some European countries, additional restrictions may apply. Watch this space for more information and suggestions to make the process go as smoothly as possible.
- The bigger and busier the venue, the earlier you may need to reserve it. For best results, start those phone calls and emails soon.
New to Vegan Baking?
|It's easier than you think. Just follow any of the million vegan baking recipes on the net or in cookbooks. If you're an experienced baker, you can usually make one or two minor changes (e.g., use nondairy milk instead of cow's milk) and you're good to go. Either way, with vegan baking you can create brownies, cookies, cupcakes, and even cheesecakes that are as tasty as you've ever had—or better! You'll find lots of vegan baking tips and recipes on the web site, but also, in any search engine, just enter "vegan recipe" followed by whatever you want to bake, such as "chocolate chip cookies"or "zucchini bread," and you'll get plenty of great recipes and cooking hints.|
How Can Commercial Establishments Participate?Most likely, your bakery, restaurant, or store cannot donate all your sales during a certain period to charity. But the following options for participation may work:
- A percentage of sales on selected items can go to charity. You can do this for a designated portion of the day, on one or more days. There is a lot of flexibility here.
- Let a nonprofit group hold a bake sale at your business.
- Donate items to a participating vegan bake sale, and maybe help promote it, too.
OK, that's it for now. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or suggestions. Check back often for updates and new information. The signup form is here. Check out our Facebook and twitter pages.
Spread the news and the love. 7th Annual Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale—April 25-May 3, 2015!